History of Boddington
This relatively young town, gazetted in 1912, took its name from Henry Boddington, a shepherd who grazed his sheep on the banks of the Hotham River in the late 1800’s.
European settlers first came to the district in the early 1860’s, with the Farmer family being one of the more significant. Near their property a school was built on the banks of the Hotham River. The area is still farmed by the Farmer family; their property is at the end of Farmers Avenue to the west of the town, with the historic Hotham River School building on Palmer Road.
Marradong was the historic centre of the district, at one time boasting a shop, a post office, a hotel, a church and a one-roomed school. The only remaining structures are St Albans, the centuryold church, and a few early homes.